NEW PATTERN is a Canadian strategic foresight + advanced design studio. For now, we are a small operation that brings in associates depending on project requirements.
If you are interested in becoming an Associate, please let me know. Below is my official CV!
Jonathan Veale, Principal
Jonathan is an interdisciplinary products, services and environments designer & strategist with 13-years of industry, government and start-up experience. He has advanced degrees in Urban Planning + Design and Strategic Foresight and Innovation. As a practical designer, Jonathan always brings a tangible, results-focus and customer orientation to every engagement.
Jonathan is a former Government of Alberta strategist and futurist having held senior leadership roles with the Ministry of Energy, Executive Council and Ministry of Health. As Director of Strategic Foresight & Innovation, Jonathan led long-range strategy and near term redesign efforts around the on-going modernization of Alberta's health system. Most recently, he helped launch the City of Calgary's Civic Innovation YYC initiative - connecting people and technology to design the next generation of city services.
As a non-partisan official, Jonathan's principal files impacted the most senior political decision-makers spanning five administrations:
- Energy and oil market access and diversification - specifically the future of Alberta's conventional, unconventional, emerging, value-add, and alternative energy products.
- Future of energy in Canada and beyond - applying a systems view that considers critical uncertainties, emerging trends, and disruptive patterns to inform the provinces energy, climate change and natural resources strategies.
- Climate change and adaptation - coordinating government wide efforts to modify the Specified Gas Emitters Regulation (SGER), modernize climate change legislation, and accomplish political goals around energy development.
- Alberta Co-Lab - Co-founded a government wide centre of excellence for systems-thinking, strategic foresight and public sector innovation.
- Health system modernization - a broad range of strategic foresight and design initiatives around community health service design, provider compensation, Alberta Health Service's governance model, funding models in primary and emergency care and budget strategies to achieve a sustainable and effective system.
- Civic Innovation YYC - launched the City of Calgary's Civic Innovation YYC initiative, including the a procurement accelerator, crowdsourcing platform and citizen engagement program.
Essential skills and knowledge:
- Scenario development and analysis
- Trend forecasting
- Horizon scanning and environmental scanning
- Qualitative, quantitative and hybrid research methods
- Collaborative Design (Co-Design)
- Systemic-design, Design-thinking, Strategic design
- Human Centred Design (HCD)
- Conflict resolution
- Strategic negotiations
- Executive-level facilitation
- Open innovation and open government
- Advanced analytics and forecasting
Recent Panels and Talks:
- "What is the end point of service design in government, anyway?" The Future of Civics and Crafting the Future Citizens Want". SDN Canada 2018 (Toronto) December 8, 2017.
- Public Sector Innovation Labs Panelist for the Municipal Innovators' Community (MIC) (Guelph) September 27-28, 2017
- "10 Innovative Ideas for Your Public Service" Conference Board of Canada: Public Sector Transformations (Ottawa) December 5-6, 2016
- "Communicating and Selling Service Design" Panelist at In Flux: Canada's First Service Design Conference (Toronto) December 1, 2016
- "Design for Government", Graduate Lecture, Aalto University (Helsinki) March, 2016
- "The Millennial Dream" Mount Royal University, Institute for Community Prosperity (Calgary) October, 2016
- "Relating Engineering, Art + Design", University of Alberta, Engineering Art Show (Edmonton) May, 2015
- Master of Design, Strategic Foresight and Innovation - Ontario College of Art & Design (Toronto)
- Master in Environmental Studies, Urban Design and Planning - York University (Toronto)
- Graduate Certificate, Urban Design - Aalto University (Finland)
- Bachelor of Management, International - University of Lethbridge (Alberta)
- International Exchange - Université de Liège (Belgium)
- Full Member, Canadian Institute of Planners' (CIP)
- Full Member, Alberta Professional Planners' Institute (APPI)
Copyright 2017. NEW PATTERN Strategies Inc.